Friday, July 8, 2011

Kohlrabi

One of my favorite things about City Fresh is the way it forces me out of my produce comfort zone and gets me to try new things I've never (knowingly!) eaten before. So I was very pleased when I discovered that kohlrabi was part of this week's share. Since the bulb and the leaves are both edible, I decided to make "kohlrabi two ways." For the first preparation, I diced up the white flesh of the bulb to create a kohlrabified version of one of my favorite Indian dishes, Saag Aloo, Spinach with Potatoes. For the second, the kohlrabi leaves and my City Fresh zucchini were combined with an array of spices to make a tasty vegetarian curry.

The recipe for the second prep needs a little more work, but for now, here's what I did to make a kohlrabi-saag:

Indian Spinach and Kohlrabi

1/2 tsp Whole YellowMustard Seeds
1 tsp of Ground Cumin, Ground Coriander, and Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1/4 tsp Cayenne
1 Tbsp of Oil
1 tsp of Garlic and Ginger Paste
1 cup of Kohlrabi, in smallish chunks
1 cup of Onion, diced
1 lb of Frozen Spinach, defrosted
Salt and Pepper

In a medium-sized saucepan, heat the oil on medium-high heat until it glistens. Add the mustard seeds. Once they begin to pop, add the garlic, ginger, and spices. Stir for about one minute, until the mixture becomes pungently fragrant. Trust your nose--you'll know when it happens!

Add kohlrabi chunks, diced onion, and spinach to the saucepan. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low heat, covered, for 20 minutes. Check the kohlrabi, and continue cooking until it reaches desired tenderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment