Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tomato Salsa and Watermelon Gazpacho

When tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro are all ready at once, it's time for salsa!

Here's my basic tomato salsa recipe. You can use hot peppers if you like, but I prefer the sweet ones, since the ground pepper still provides a lot of zip. Flavors will intensify over the first few hours, so it tastes best if you can assemble it a little bit ahead and chill for a few hours before serving.

4 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 Cubanelle peppers, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
2 cloves raw garlic, minced finely
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 shakes of Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground white pepper
12 oz can tomato juice or V8



Later this week, when the tomatoes in this salsa start to fall apart from the heat of the peppers, I'll reinvent this as gazpacho. Traditional gazpacho would be made by adding cucumbers, puree-ing the whole thing, and serving it cold.

My version is a little different. A few years ago, I had a watermelon gazpacho in a restaurant and had to try to recreate it. I used my basic salsa recipe, combining roughly equal amounts of salsa and watermelon in a blender and smashed them together. The result was pretty good. I think it's tasty plain, but you can also dress it up with a little crumbled feta cheese on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment