Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Meet a Volunteer - Chauncey!

As part of a regular column, we're conducting short interviews with our volunteers to help shareholders get to know the faces behind the table who make Coventry City Fresh work by donating their time and energy (and often some cash) to a cause they believe in.

Tell us a bit about yourself.
I am a lifelong Cleveland Heights resident and I love my city.  I just finished my first year at Cleveland-Marshall College of Law and I am currently a Summer Associate at The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland.  I have a balcony garden where I grow really spicy peppers.   

What do you do with City Fresh?
I unload the produce off of the truck and talk with people.  I talk with people while unloading the truck!  I like to stack the fruits and vegetables into neat geometric piles.  I talk with anybody willing to listen about the role that local food plays in decreasing negative impacts on the environment as well as helping to grow the local economy.

How long have you been a volunteer?
This is fifth summer volunteering with City Fresh. 

Were you a shareholder before that? How long?
Nope, I started both at the same time.

What keeps you coming back year after year?
I think that access to healthy food plays an important role in building healthy communities. Similarly, investing in locally grown food helps strengthen our region.  I enjoy the fact that the composition of our weekly shares reflects the progression of the seasons, providing exposure to new and different produce every week.  I also really like the people involved.  I enjoy spending time and talking with other volunteers and shareholders.

What’s your day job? 
I am a Summer Associate at Legal Aid, working with the Community Advocacy Program, a medical-legal partnership with MetroHealth.


What’s your favorite vegetable?
Arugula (especially when it is in a salad with fennel, orange slices, shaved pecorino cheese, sea salt, cracked pepper, and olive oil)


Got a recipe to share?
Grilled peaches/apples:
Cut peach/apple in half.  Remove pit/core.  Fill with brown sugar, butter, (cinnamon, vanilla, a splash of bourbon, or anything else you would like).  Put fruit back together and wrap with foil.  Throw it on the grill for 5-15 minutes depending on heat of grill and how soft and caramelized you like your fruit. Carefully remove foil being mindful of steam.  Enjoy (with ice cream).

No comments:

Post a Comment