Monday, June 27, 2011

Zucchini Quesadillas

For a quick dinner, I combined some decidedly non-local ingredients with my very local produce to come up with a scrumdiddlyumptious result.

First, I finely grated a zucchini. To extract the excess water from it, I pressed it against a fine colander. I combined this in a bowl with a can of black beans (drained), half an avocado (chopped), and a diced roma tomato, also squeezed to reduce the liquid. I then added some shredded cheeses - I use a store-bought mix of Monterey Jack, Muenster, and Colby.

I heated a cast iron griddle over a medium flame and melted a pat of butter on it before placing a tortilla over the griddle. I then spread my cheese and veggie mix over the tortilla so it was about a half inch thick, with a bit of room around the diameter. You can add more cheese here if you so desire. I topped this with a second tortilla.

Once the cheese was a bit melty, I flipped the quesadilla and cooked it a little longer on the other side til the cheese was quite melty. I cut it with a sharp knife in pie slices and served with salsa. The veggies make it a bit unwieldy, so I also recommend a knife and fork for eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment